Tuesday, May 22, 2007



A Bad Case of Loving You
GENRE: contemporary erotic romance, m/m, D/s, medical, England
PUBLISHER: Torquere Press
ISBN: 1934166111

I took a pass on this one when it first came out. For me, the formula was: unfamiliar author + set in England + medical romance = No, thank you.

Last week however, when I was looking for something to read that would qualify as "research", and I came across this book again. It had a great recommendation from Shayne Carmichael, whom I have enjoyed, and there was a D/s element I hadn't noticed before. Now that definitely qualifies as research.

Premise: Andrew is an American doctor living in England. Matthew is one of the residents under his supervision. There are SO many reasons they shouldn't get involved -- but of course they do anyway, and their complicated -- and unexpectedly lovely -- romance is only a part of what's so great about this book.

What I liked as a reader: There was no getting around the medical romance aspect of this book, but Cairo avoided the rich, powerful doctor cliche that I find so icky. The characters felt real, and the alpha doctor model was nowhere to be found. In the end, Cairo's use of the medical element wasn't a gimmick, but truly added something significant to the story.

Andrew and Matthew were both so awesome. And they were messy. I like that -- does that make me weird? When everyone is perfect and tidy and drives a nice car it just sets my teeth on edge.

And I probably wouldn't recommend a romance that didn't have that mix of HOT + sweet that I love. After I finished it the first time, I actually went back to find one of the really sweet moments to read again. *sigh* (Usually it's the, um, other parts -- although I did go back and... Oh, never mind.)

What I liked as a writer: There was tons of medical jargon in this book. How did she manage to do that without bogging down the writing? Cairo put us in the head of a doctor (and resident) in a way I hadn't imagined before.

The D/s relationship she wrote was beautiful. (I appreciated it as both a reader and a writer.) No cliches or cheap tricks here, either -- just two people in a mutually satisfying relationship.

Too often these days, I finish books with a feeling of disappointment, sorry to have wasted my time and money. A Bad Case of Loving You just made me feel happy. Time well spent and a new author to add to my must buy list. You should check it out, too.

No comments: